Join our team at Granada Islamic School!
Granada Islamic School is located in the city of Santa Clara in the heart of Silicon Valley. In addition to its high tech reputation, Santa Clara is noted for its fine climate and beautiful surroundings. A one-hour drive to the north puts you in the city of San Francisco. Less than one hour to the west is the beautiful coast of Santa Cruz. A 4-hour drive to the east puts you in the scenic mountains of Lake Tahoe and Yosemite, with popular summer and winter resort activities. There are also many well-known universities in the area, such as Stanford, UC Berkeley, Santa Clara University and San Jose State University.
The Muslim Community Association of the San Francisco Bay Area is a religious non-profit, and non-political organization established in 1983 and is affiliated with the Islamic Society of North America. The aims and purpose of the MCA are to advance the cause of Islam and serve the thriving community of Muslims in the San Francisco Bay area so as to enable them to adopt Islam as a way of life. The mosque accommodates approximately 3,000 worshippers every Friday. The MCA hosts conferences as well as a variety of activities such as Adult and Youth Khalaqahs and Classes in Qur'an, Tajweed, Arabic and Hadith.
In addition to MCA activities, there are a great number of Muslim organizations based in the nearby areas such as: Zaytuna Institute, CAIR, Muslims for Global Peace, Rahima Foundation, etc.
Granada Islamic School is located in the Muslim Community Association building, a 3-acre site with convenient freeway access. The facility consists of two sections, one half is Granada Islamic School and the other half consists of a mosque and community center. The school portion includes of 20 classrooms, a fenced playground, a basketball court, a computer lab and a library. There is a cafeteria-style restaurant on site.
Like the local Muslim Community itself, GIS teachers and staff, totaling fifty, represent a diverse cultural background. United by the spirit of Islam, there is a genuine sense of cooperation and team spirit among the staff, crossing cultural boundaries and making for a pleasant and energizing work environment.
The Granada academic year begins in mid August and goes to mid June. Teachers and staff sign one-year contracts. Workdays are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (4:00 p.m. for administrative and office staff).
Salary Structure (Schedule)
The annual salary range for teachers holding a California teaching credential is:
|1-5 years experience
|6-10 years experience
Granada employees enjoy working in an Islamic environment while knowing they are making a difference in the lives of young Muslim children.
Holidays and school breaks are scheduled around Ramadan and Eid. Work schedules are shortened slightly during the month of Ramadan.
Employees receive 10 days paid sick days per year.
Granada offers medical, dental and vision coverage to all full-time employees and their dependents. Granada pays for 75% of the premium and the employee pays the remaining 25%.
Granada has a tuition reimbursement program for eligible employees.
On-site daycare is available for staff and GIS staff receives a discount on tuition fees for their children.
All teachers participate in an orientation program prior to starting each academic year. A special orientation program is held for new teachers joining our staff. To support teachers in acquiring and upgrading their teaching skills, Granada offers training programs throughout the year during staff-in-service days.